The certification is done from two point of view :
- Every team member fills a 141 questions survey that is completely anonymous (i.e. : managed by a third party that will not reveal the individual results : only averages and only for groups > 5 people). This is a key advantage compared to internal survey : truth can be spoken out !
- Managers fill the same 141 questions and are conducting an auto-evaluation of the sames practices.
This gave a very interesting managerial practices :
- What the team members define as important vs what the manager define as important
- The performance evaluated by the team members vs the performance perceived by the managers
- Visualize the strengths and weaknesses of the company managerial practices
- Rate, by importance, the managerial practice
The company (site in French only at this time) that created the certification is also providing an analysis of the complete data-set. They also generate an action plan :
- Strong points : What is very important for the team, perform well, but could perform better
- Weak points : What is performing OK/badly but is important for the team (65% and more importance)
- Analysis by age-group, department, physical location, etc. with corresponding strong and weak points (minimal sample size is 5 to have access to the statistics)
- Values of the company as measured by the survey : what interest the team members. This is a very precious results that you can use to recruit like-minded people that share the same value as the team.
This certification reinforce my personal motto : " I prefer to work with motivated people than working to motivate people !". This is true, as far as I know, for partners, shareholders, investors, employee, customers.